🌸…Being Human is given , But keeping our Humanity is a Choice…🌸
With the World facing this Pandemic and Lockdown, we humans are actually forced to introspect ‘self’. We must have realized during this lockdown that our ‘basic needs/requirements ‘are not much,infact it’s our lifestyle that makes us greedy which is neither a necessity nor a basic requirement and at the end of the day all the materialistic things are meaningless.
..It’s once-in-a lifetime opportunity to delve within – Breathe , Rest and Rejuvenate – it’s a beautiful space for Introspection & Self Growth..
We have forgotten we are social animals and ultimate Goal of Humanity is to Serve Humanity Selflessly. When you stop caring about your personal gains and start working for humanity selfless, Ultimate satisfaction and peace you get.
🌸It is our Humanity which makes us spiritual and the Spirit which makes us Human 🌸
Sharing and exploring a beautiful concept of, Psychology of ‘Self Actualisation’ which stresses on the positive, healthy aspects of personality and the uniqueness of the individual. A Humanistic view based on a belief that people are good, active, creative individuals who live in the present and base their actions in the subjective perception of experience. People are seen as active agents in the perception and modification of their own reality and are assumed to be motivated to move towards personal growth and self fulfillment.
**The Ultimate GOAL of HUMAN BEING is SELF -ACTUALISATION and Self-actualisation is nothing but DEFINING ONESELF and then REDEFINING for the BETTERMENT of HUMANITY. **
* The need for Self -Actualisation is not about missing anything or needing anything tangible, but is related to a need for growth, understanding & fulfillment. It arises when one wishes to become, “ALL I CAN BECOME “.
*The need for meaning & purpose at this level also means that one becomes more sensitive to large social issues and the welfare of the community ,including the whole human community.
* Self -actualized people have a deep feeling of identification, sympathy and affection for human beings in general. They feel kinship & connection ,as if all people were members of a single family.
**The term self actualisation was first used by the German Psychiatrist, “Kurt Goldstein “(1939) which is built on the assumption that,” every individual ,every plant, every animal has only ONE INBORN GOAL – To Actualize Itself As It Is..
** ..In 1943, Iconic American Psychologist “ABRAHAM MASLOW ” presented a THEORY of’ HUMAN MOTIVATION’ that was so Quintessential that it has for decades, been met with strong acceptance and praise..
Maslow’s “Humanistic Theory Of Personality” is perhaps the most well known theory of motivation.
* According to this theory, humans are driven to achieve their maximum potential and will always do so unless obstacles are placed in their way. These obstacles include hunger, thirst, financial problems, safety issues or anything else that takes focus away from maximum psychological growth.*
* Humanistic theories of personality emphasizes on personal responsibility and innate tendencies toward personal growth .
* Maslow organized human needs into 5ive main groups in a ‘Hierarchical Fashion ‘. The logic of the hierarchy of needs is that the need at the lower end of hierarchy exert more power in that they exert a greater sense of urgency to be satisfied than the need at the next level. Progressing up the hierarchy of needs results in the individual coming closer to achieving the state of self-actualisation.
“The tendency toward self -actualisation is the only drive by which the life of an individual is determined”. At any moment, the individual has the fundamental tendency to actualize all its capacities and its whole potential, as it is present in that exact moment, under the given circumstances.
*Humanistic theory is perhaps the most well known theory of Motivation. According to this theory,
…humans are driven to achieve their ‘Maximum Potential’ & will always do so unless obstacles are placed in their way…
* This theory makes an assumption that :
. A Person is motivated as a whole.
. Motivation is complex.
. Man is a ‘wanting animal’.
. Satisfied needs can never be a motivator.
. Man’s needs are arranged in ‘hierarchy’.
* Humanistic Theory of Personality was proposed by Abraham Maslow. This concept suggests that human needs exist in a hierarchy , ranging from psychological needs,on the bottom,through safety needs, social needs, esteem needs, and finally self-actualisation needs at the Top.
* According to Maslow ,lower-order needs must be satisfied before we can turn to more complex, higher-order needs.
…higher-order needs can’t serve as motives until lower-level needs have been satisfied.. thus a hungry person won’t be very interested in Self -actualizing; and one whose safety is threatened won’t focus on gaining others’ approval..
* Maslow has also devoted much attention to the study of people who, are psychologically healthy. These are individuals who have attained high levels of self -actualisation –
….a state in which they have reached their fullest’true potential’
…self -actualized people accept themselves for what they are; they recognize their shortcomings as well as their strengths… being in touch with their own personalities, they are less inhibited & less likely to conform than most of us…
# Physiological Needs : The most basic need related to the survival of the individual, they are, Food, shelter, cloth, air, water, sleep and reproduction.Such needs are extremely potent and, when unfulfilled can dominate the life of individual .Biological in nature .
# Safety Needs : The desire for stability, is like creating an environment for living that is free from the threat of danger. The need to feel Physically and Emotionally Safe from harm and genuine threats.
# Love an Belongingness Needs: Social Needs : Affection, love, friendship, acceptance and communication. The desire to be with others directly concerned with the basic desire to feel accepted by and have meaningful interpersonal relationship with others. Belonging to various social organization, community service group as well as member of a family give one a sense of acceptance and belongingness. The need to feel fully and unconditionally supported by someone else and the need to provide such support and love to another.
# Esteem Needs : Status, approval, appreciation, freedom of control, recognition, self-respect, Independence and respect of others. The need to genuinely appreciate and respect oneself.
#Self-Actualisation : Self – development,self-advancement, desire for increased responsibilities and liberation of creative talents. The need to become the best version of yourself that you can be. Developing the individual’s full potential involves the individual’s desire to develop his or her ability to their fullest potential. Such development involves obtaining deeper sense of one’s own desires and ability and maximising their expression in an attempt to bring them together. Individual must be extremely motivated from within to achieve the need.
…. If both the physiological & the safety needs are fairly well gratified, then there will emerge Love, Affection & belongingness needs and the whole cycle already described will repeat itself …
* Self -Actualisation in Maslow’s hierarchy of needs, is the highest level of psychological development where the actualisation of full personal potential is achieved ,which occurs only after basic & mental needs have been fulfilled.
…man’s tendency to actualize himself to become his potentialities.. to express & activate all its capacities – Carl Rogers.
* Throughout lives, individuals work toward achieving the top of the pyramid, self-actualisation,or the realization of all of full potential.
…on the way up there are obstacles, also there are incidents than can move an individual down…
“SELF – ACTUALISATION MEANS BEING THE BEST PERSON ONE COULD POSSIBLY BE- are you?? 😊
…to have achieved this goal is to stop living, because there is nothing else left to do…
* The needs Maslow believed to be higher, healthier and more likely to emerge in self-actualizing people were being needs(B-needs) also called existential or spiritual needs.
… existential needs are rooted in need to experience lives more fully and to find MEANING and PURPOSE in LIFE … being needs are FULFILLED but NEVER SATIATED .. include TRUTH, GOODNESS and BEAUTY.. MASLOW also included Unity, Perfection and Completion of finality.. It values aliveness, process,uniqueness and self-sufficiency…
* ..Self Actualized people live more in the real world of nature than in the man-made mass of concepts, abstractions , expectations, beliefs and stereotypes that most people confuse with the world..*
Q U A L I T I E S : of a Self-Actualized Person –
. More Efficient Perception Of Reality
. Acceptance of Self, Others and Nature
. Spontaneity, Simplicity & Naturalness
. Problem – Centering
. The Need for Privacy
. Continued freshness of Appreciation
. The Peak Experience
…working hard for something we don’t Care is called Stress, and working hard for something ‘We Love’is called ‘PASSION ‘…
THE ‘ JONAH ‘ COMPLEX :
* Because humans are born with a natural tendency to move toward psychological health, any failure to reach self-actualisation can technically be called abnormal development. One such abnormal syndrome is the ‘Jonah Complex’ or fear of being or doing one’s best , a condition that all of us have to some extent. Maslow believed that many people allow false humility to stifle their creativity, which causes them to fall short of self-actualisation.
….Failure to have needs met at various stages of the hierarchy could lead to illness, particularly psychiatric illness Or mental health issues .Individuals whose Physiological needs are not met may become extremely ill , stressful , and in extreme cases it might turn fatal. when safety needs are not met, post-traumatic stress may occur.
P S Y C H O T H E R A P Y :
The hierarchy of needs concept has obvious ramifications for Psychotherapy. Most people who seek psychotherapy probably do so, because they have not adequately satisfied their love and belongingness needs. This suggests that much of therapy should involve a productive human relationship and that the job of a therapist is to help clients satisfy love and belongingness .
The significance of the concept of self-actualisation is also reflected in its application to Personality Assessment. ‘The Personal Orientation Inventory ‘( POI ) is an objective measure most often associated with assessing self -actualisation. The POI was invented by’ Everett L Shostrom’ as an objective means of measuring some of the behaviours and values related to Maslow’s Concept. Involves 2 Major scales and sub-scales. The 10 sub-scales consists of characteristic indicating self-actualisation, including of self-acceptance spontaneity, synergy and capacity for intimate contact.
* Self -actualized people accept themselves for what they are ; they recognize their shortcomings as well as their strengths. Being in touch with their own personalities, they are less inhibited and less likely to conform than most of us.
* Self-actualized people are well aware of the rules imposed by society,but feel greater freedom to ignore them than most persons. Unlike most of us, they seem to retain their childhood wonder and amazement with the world. For them life continues to be an exciting adventure rather than a boring routine.
* Finally, self -actualized persons sometimes have PEAK EXPERIENCES – instances in which they have powerful feelings of unity with the universe and feel tremendous waves of power and wonder. Such experiences appear to be linked to personal growth , for after them individuals report feeling more spontaneous, more appreciative of life, and less concerned with the problems of everyday life.
…The more one forgets himself by giving himself to a cause to serve or another person to love – the more human he is and the more he actualizes himself , Self-Actualisation is possible only as a side – effect of self-transcendence…
🌸Finding happiness is like finding yourself. You don’t find happiness.. you make happiness ..you choose happiness.. Self-Actualisation is a process of discovering who you are, who you to be and paving the way to happiness by doing what brings you the most meaning and contentment to your life over the long run🌸
Let yourself be drawn by the stronger pull of that which you truly love. A musician must make music, an artist must paint, a poet must write(& so on), if he is to be ultimately at peace with himself.
..one’s only rival is one’s own potentialities.. One’s only failure is failing to live up to one’s own possibilities…
🌹All the evidence that we have indicate that it is reasonable to assume in practically every human being and certainly in almost every new born baby that there is an ACTIVE WILL toward HEALTH, an IMPPULSE towards GROWTH & towards THE ACTUALIZATION 🌹
🌹A Special Thankful note to my family, my besties and all the good special people who motivate and reinforces positively and serve humanity🌹💖😊
REMEMBER SELF ACTUALISATION IS OXYGEN TO THE SOUL…KEEP SUPPLYING 💞
I hope you all enjoyed reading as much as I enjoyed putting it for you 🙂
🌸S T A Y S A F E 🌸
🌸S T A Y B L E S S E D 🌸
🙏GOD BLESS US ALL🙏